Douglas L. Johnson
Our lawyers are devoted to resolving litigation efficiently and achieving excellence in every aspect of our practice.
WHEN THE DEAL GOES WRONG, WE KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Douglas L. Johnson is Managing Partner at Johnson & Johnson
Mr. Johnson is well known for handling high-profile and high-impact entertainment matters. His clients include producers, actors, directors, production companies, music artists, and independent record labels. He is well-known for his successes in profit participation and royalty disputes, right of publicity cases, and theft of idea cases for film and television. Mr. Johnson has been repeatedly named by SuperLawyers as a top intellectual property litigator for more than a decade, representing the top 2.5% of the profession in Southern California. Mr. Johnson also serves as outside general counsel for WorldStarHipHop.com.
- Since co-founding Johnson & Johnson, Mr. Johnson has been at the forefront of developing California’s right of publicity laws. He has litigated cases up to the California Supreme Court, advocating for precedent to protect the rights of all Californians from those who would seek to profit from their names, images, and likenesses without authorization. Mr. Johnson’s advocacy extends to his participation on speaking panels, publication of scholarly articles, and educating law students on the importance of these rights.
- Handled profit participation disputes on behalf of Sylvester Stallone (Demolition Man), Glen Larson (Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Fall Guy, Battlestar Galactica), Ed Weinberger (Amen), Richard Dreyfuss and Raymond Wagner (Turner and Hooch, What About Bob?), Jack Klugman (Quincy, Odd Couple), Mike Connors (Mannix), the Estate of Charles Bronson (St. Ives, Telefon).
- Obtained multiple eight-figure settlements in class actions against major Hollywood studios for underpaying royalties on home video and new digital media, major record labels for underpayments on digital download royalties, and major entertainment guilds for unpaid foreign levies, Mr. Johnson is currently leading class actions against several major record labels for underpayment of digital streaming royalties.
- Defended blues icon B.B. King in a case seeking declaratory relief regarding the right to produce a film about his life, resulting in dismissal of the lawsuit.
- Obtained a seven-figure jury verdict on behalf of an artist and record company in a copyright infringement case.
- Litigated several high-profile libel disputes against large media companies, recently settling one in 2015 for mid-seven figures. Mr. Johnson currently represents Richard Simmons in a libel action against the Enquirer.
- Business owner in involved in partnership dispute
- wrongful death and civil rights case, resulting in reorganization of staffing and training at a county jail, The matter was,featured on the cover of the Sacramento News & Review and constituted the . The largest settlement in the nation at the time for such a case.
- Adjunct Professor, Entertainment and Media Litigation, Southwestern School of Law, 2012 to Present
- Panelist, “Backend Optics: Profit Participations Through Different Lenses,” Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2018
- Panelist, “I’m a Celebrity, You Can’t Do That, (Can You?), California Society of Entertainment Lawyers, 2018
- Panelist, “Entertainment Year in Review: Entertainment Litigation With Stars Of The Bar,” Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2017
- Panelist, “The Right of Publicity: The State of The Current Law,” Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2014
- The Ever-Evolving Courtroom Drama of Net Profits, Donald L. Stone’s Inn of St. Ives, 2012
- Panelist, Right of Publicity: How Much Is Your Client Really Worth?, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2012
- Panelist, Current Issues in Right of Likeness, Defamation and Privacy, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Section, 2011
- Panelist, Injuries Without Remedies, Loyola Law School’s Legal Symposium
- Entertainment Contracts With Minors in New York and California, New York State Bar Association, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Vol. 30, No. 1 (Spring 2019)
- Defamation and Invasion of Privacy in the Internet Age, Southwestern Journal of International Law, Volume XXV (2019)
- When Will Legal Communication Result In Liability?, Los Angeles Daily Journal (Mar 29, 2019)
- Entertainment Contracts With Minors: Clarification Needed, Los Angeles Daily Journal (Nov. 27, 2018)
- Tales and Lessons Regarding the Right of Publicity, USC Entertainment Law Spotlight, Issue 2 (2018)
- Hollywood Docket: Tales and Lessons Regarding the Right of Publicity, New York State Bar Association, Arts and Sports Law Journal, No. 2 (Summer 2018)
- Hollywood Docket: Essential Clauses for Drafting an Ironclad Release and Consent Agreement, New York State Bar Association, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Spring, 2018)
- Before You Sign That Deal At Cannes…Produced By, Producers Guild of America, (April/May 2017) Hollywood Docket: Making the Perfect Pitch, New York State Bar Association, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Vol. 27, No.3, (Fall/Winter 2017)
- Hollywood Docket: One-Sided World, New York State Bar Association, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Vol 27, No. 2., (Summer, 2016)
- A New Way to Revive a Corporation, Los Angeles Daily Journal, (Oct 26, 2016)
- Hollywood Docket: Social Media, the Law, and You, New York State Bar Association, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Fall 2016)
- What Happened to Unjust Enrichment in California? The Deterioration of Equity in the California Courts, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, Vol. 44:277 (Fall 2010)
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2000, Dean’s List
- B.A., University of Southern California, 1996, Dean’s List
- Entertainment Litigation
- Complex Business Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Defamation, Media, and First Amendment Law
- Rights of Privacy and Publicity
Contact Douglas L. Johnson
439 North Canon Drive, Beverly Hills, California 90210, United States